Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Databases - How to select

Status
Not open for further replies.

greg52

Technical User
Feb 16, 2005
US
I have about 20 company databases on a single MS SQL2000 server which all have identical tables. I would like the report to prompt the user to select which company to report against. There isn't any problem with the prompt, but how do I get the company selected to be part of the SQL command? For example, if the user wants a report for Company1, how would I get the query to run against Company1:

Use company1
Select table1.fielda, table1.fieldb...etc

or

Select company1.dbo.table1.fielda, company1.dbo.table1.fieldb...etc

The SQL would be executed from CR v8.5. Is what I'm asking even possible? Thanks for any advice.

One approach might be to use a UNION ALL statement that merges the tables, but adding a field that distinguishes the original table name. Then you could set up a parameter that would pull only the records that met that criterion. In 8.5 I don't think you can add a "fake" table field to the initial select in the "Show SQL Query", but you could add an unused field, e.g., {table.name} from the first table, and then for subsequent tables add a corresponding field like:

'1' as 'Name'

...which you could then use in your record selection formula.

-LB

If you were using CR 9, you might be able to pull this off with Crystal alone, but since you aren't, your options are:

1) Use stored procedures that will return the results for the selected company's database.
2) In a central database, create Views for each table using a UNION query to link all of the databases, then control the results by using a CompanyName parameter in Crystal. For example, one of the Views might look like:
SELECT CompanyName = 'CompanyA', Field1, Field2, Field3
FROM CompanyA.dbo.Table1
UNION ALL
SELECT CompanyName = 'CompanyB', Field1, Field2, Field3
FROM CompanyB.dbo.Table1
etc.......

In Crystal, you'd create a {?CompanyName} parameter, and restrict the records returned for the correct database by using a record selection formula like:

{ViewName.CompanyName} = {?CompanyName}

-dave

Thanks all for your help.

Dave - Your view suggestion is what I figured would have to be done if CR couldn't do it

-Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back