Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple database connections in Pervasive 2000i

Status
Not open for further replies.

rene147

Programmer
Sep 8, 2009
GB
Hi, I’m currently working on a VB/ASP.net project that’s using large datasets. Each time the website loads it gets these large datasets out of pervasive over ODBC what was taking up to 2 mins each time! To help with loading times I’ve implemented multithreading. The idea being that the website has to run 3 separate select statements and it would have to wait for each statement to run before moving onto the next one were as now it runs all 3 at once. This has solved the problem of loading the data BUT for some reason every now and again one of the threads will hang while filling the dataset. If you then try and access pervasive though code, pervasive control center or directly on the server it just hangs until you properly kill the task (by restarting the server or though task manager).

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening? Can pervasive 2000i cope with multiple connections from the same application at the same time?

Cheers,
Rene

PSQL 2000i was thread safe for the ODBC driver. I'm not sure about the OLEDB provider. What's your connection string?
As far as the actual problem, have you made sure the SQL queries are optimized and are using an index. This would limit the amount of data to what you actually want/need which could lower the time it takes to run the queries.

Of course, another option is to upgrade the PSQL 2000i to the latest version (currently v10 SP2). PSQL 2000i went unsupported in March of 2003 so it was probably never tested with VB/ASP.NET.

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back