Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Data sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data69

Technical User
Jan 24, 2003
US
I have a dilemma in which I have 4 different applications each with it's own database. 3 application DB's are .mdb and the last one is a .dat file structure in which I use an ODBC connection to the tables. All the applications were written by different vendors. My issue is that 65% of the data in all the databases is redundant and a lot of time is spent keying in the same data. I would like to have all the applications use a single source of data. I was thinking that a datawarehouse is the answer. Am I on the right track with my thinking. If so what is a good resource on designing and building a DW. If my thinking is wrong then what do I need to do to centralize my data?

Actually, your concept is correct, but the structure you are looking for is called an ODS (Operational Data Store). The ODS can be looked at as a switching hub, moving data between the other systems. First, determine which system is the system of record, either by data entity (which system will contain the customer0 or by data element (which system controls customer credit limit). Next, decide who subscribes to that data. Next, get your in and out feeds designed. Then, turn it on! For more info, there are some good books on ODS, notably Bill Inmon's.

-------------------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back