Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple CRPE32.DLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregoriw

Programmer
Sep 21, 2001
US
Just installed CR9 on my PC and noticed that it created a separate "bin" folder under \Program Files\Common Files\Crystal Decisions\2.0\ and put a majority of the necessary executables and DLL files there. But I also noticed that there are still a lot of similar CrystaL Reports 8 files left in the \Windows\System directory. Such as CRPE32.DLL and U2*.DLL.

Won't Crystal 9 get confused and try to use the CRPE32.DLL from the Windows\System folder instead of the latest CRPE32.DLL in the Common Files folder? How does the CR9 program know which path to use when searching for the files it needs to process by? Should I do an uninstall of the older CR 8 system before installing CR 9? If so, I thought Crystal 9 installer would've caught that and warned me beforehand?

Thanks,
gregoriw

hi
is this ver 9 a full install or an upgrade?

Ok
did you remove the old version of crystal using the ver 9 software?

That's because it installed CR 9 too.

Keep in mind that CR9 can coexist with previous versions, unlike installing previous versions.

Also CR 9 is not backward compatible, it can open old versions, but not save to them.

-k

hi
i dont like having multiple version of crystal on one machine
espacilly ver 9 it still has lots of bugs in it
i radder used the software to remove the old version since uninstall from Ms does not completly remove the software

pgtek

I did not recall uninstalling CR 8 with the CR9 install, yet I thought I read somewhere that both could exist on the same PC. My issue is that I'm a little confused about which search path CR 9 uses because of the multiple files existing in different folders. It may be that CR9 ignores anything in the \Windows\System32 folder. Kinda has me baffled considering that CRPE32.DLL is THE key file needed by the entire Crystal Reports system.

My current project is to evaluate a nasty RTF export problem one of our clients found from our report distribution and I thought some of the problems may have been because there was an older CR8 U2FRTF.DLL file that may have interfered with how the output was generated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back