Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple commands in pre/post options

Status
Not open for further replies.

ervsplace

Technical User
Aug 23, 2001
US
I was curious if it is possible to have multiple commands in the pre/post options of a backup job? I would like to be able to run three commands both before and after my backup and am unsure how to approach this? Using Backup Exec 9.0 on a Netware 6 server in conjunction with St. Bernards Open File Manager.

thanks
dan

Might I suggest the easiest solution might be to place your multiple commands in a script (batch) file. then call the batch from the pre/post command line space. this means one simple command for Backup Exec plus if you need to change the commands you can do so without having to go back to Backup Exec properties each time. Just edit the script file.

Hope this Helps!
Duane

Hi Duane,
I hate to ask a dumb question but do I create a batch file just as I would for windows? I am pretty new to Netware and curious if I would create a batch file similar.

Thanks
dan

Yes, I am talking about a simple batch file created in notepad et al with a .bat extension on the text file. IT would contain the commands (one per line).

Now I do need to add that I moed over to the microsoft camp due to a change in employers about five years ago so I may not be up to speed on the Novell details. But, if I am off-base on this, it won't hurt to try and I am certain that any errors will be pointed out by one of our colleagues on the forum here.

I would test by making a test batch script with a couple simple commands and add it to a short test backup of a file or two. This would execute fast enough to tweak and work with to test it out with out committing to the full job.

BTW, there are no dumb questions here. Learning one's way around administering network is like trying to coordinate all the traffic lights in a large city. It is too much for anyone to see and know it all. That is why we have forums like Tek-Tips and why we all use them!

-- Duane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back