Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Columns in One Record to One Column

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggieval

Programmer
May 23, 2002
US
I have a budget table with one record for each account and a field for each month. I would like to set up a query, for a report, that would put the data in a format so that each month's budget is in one column, a record for each month.

Any suggestions on setting this up would be incredibly helpful.

Tracy

I guess there are prettier ways to do this but try this:

SELECT 'jan' AS month, SUM(Jan)
FROM budget
UNION
SELECT 'feb' AS month, SUM(Feb)
FROM budget
UNION
SELECT 'march' AS month, SUM(Mar)
FROM budget

and so on....

/gny

Thank you so much, even if it's not pretty, it should work.

Tracy

I was about to post a similar question, but your solution isn't suitable for me.

The table I'm working on is linked via ODBC and takes at least 5 seconds to get the data - and I've got 15 fields I want to merge in this way, so if I can avoid querying the table 15 times it would be nice.

I've got an Inventory table that I will have filtered out to just one stock code, but we have multiple warehouses (one per record), and 15 price levels per warehouse (PRICE1, PRICE2, PRICE3, etc.)

I want to end up with a table with the warehouses as the columns, and 15 rows to show each of the price levels in each warehouse.

Can anyone help? I could use the union suggestion to get 15 records per warehouse, and then use a crosstab query on it, but I'd like something more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back