Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple CMS' on one machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB45

Technical User
Feb 3, 2005
US
CE10
SQL2000

I am running into an issue where reports are not being generated through scheduling and I was thinking of adding another CMS to help with any failures. Can more than one be run on the same machine or does it require an additional machine? I have looked for information and all I can find talk about an additional machine. Would this require another license?

Thanks
BB

Hi,
Only 1 CMS per server is possible..Imagine the difficuly in keeping the databases used by each synchronized - even when a clustered multi-server setup is used all CMSs must use the same database.

Look into adding more Report Job Servers instead..

Better yet, find out why there are failures and address the root cause.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Would this require another license?"

It all depends on your license model.

If you are server/processor based - then YES you would need additional licenses.

If you are named/concurrent - then NO you would not need any additional licenses to permit you to "cluster" the CMS on multiple servers.

Another point, I don't know if BOBJ will even sell you a CE-10 license at this point - or require that you migrate to BOE-XI to buy additional licneses.

If you're having problems with reports not generating when scheduled, then, as Turkbear mentioned, you have to add one or more additional Report Job Servers. They are the piece of the software that generates scheduled reports. My production environment has 2 Report Job Servers running on each of the server boxes and I expect to add one or two more as we bring more of our departments into Business Objects.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Thanks for all the input. Is it possible to only allow a job server to come on line at a particular time? We will be moving to a data warehouse soon but until then we want to minimize the hits on our production environment during business hours.

Thanks
BB

If the reports aren't running, they're not hitting the db. You're problem is that the reports aren't running. If they need to run, you need the extra job server. The extra job server just makes sure that all of your reports get processed. Scheduling the reports at spaced out time intervals will lessen the hit on your db.

-Del

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back