Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple check-outs of an .rc file in visual C++

Status
Not open for further replies.

MahalKoCjet

Programmer
Mar 5, 2003
PH
Given the condition that multiple users "check-out" an .rc file, coz our project team won't allow only one user at a time can modify the .rc file coz this will delay the time frame. So if all this users "check-in" the .rc file, how will VSS read this? will it overwrite the .rc file over and over again until the last .rc file will be the present updated file, or will it compare it one by one? If so, then would it be risky doing multiple check-outs?

When using multiple check out in VSS, the person checking in a file that has been modified since they checked it out can review the differences on screen and decide which differences stay and which go. It really wouldn't work to have the computer decide those things for you.

So, is it dangerous to use multiple check out? I think so. No question that it can be made to work if everyone is disciplined and overcomes the natural preferences for his/her own changes over someone else's. But I still think that the risk is too great and the hassle of dealing with choosing changes that you aren't familiar with isn't worth it in most cases. BlackburnKL

I have tried the multiple check out thing in the past. It normally causes a big mess. Normally you find that the two changes made to a file are incompatible and you tend to just end up with code that has some very subtle bugs in that are hard to find.

It can sometimes be useful for high usage files like project files and resource files where you are just adding to a list of related items, but I haven't been able to find a way of selecting which files can have multiple checkouts.

It is best to just look up in SS explorer to see who has it checked out and go give them what for. You normally find that they have finished with the file and have just forgotten to check it back in.

Caffeine
[afro]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back