Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

multiple asp.net elements on one line with label above. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarwinIT

Programmer
Apr 25, 2008
US
I have a mockup of a website to create. The mockup shows sometimes three fields in a line - with the label for the textbox/dropdown etc. above the input element. I am not allowed to use a table which would make this fairly painless. How do I format this so I can get multiple controls on the same line using Divs/css etc?
I put a <br /> between the label and the textbox and that gets me the label above the input element - but that doesn't keep the other elements I want on that line in place.

Make the label surround the input, and ten float the label.

HTML:
<div class="inputDiv">Input 1:<br><input type="text"></div>

<div class="inputDiv">Input 1<br><select><option>Choose One</option><option>Choose One</option><option>Choose One</option></select>
</div>

<div class="inputDiv">Input 1<br><input type="text"></div>

and your CSS:

CSS:
#inputDiv{
float:left;
}

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Hmmm. The sample worked because there were just 3 elements. Now I'm working with the real page and I have 20 or so elements. They all show up on the same line.
It seems like it requires 3 <br /> to break to a new row. There must be a better way to do that? And how do I add padding between the elements in the same row since they end up right beside each other?

Floated elements qwill keep side y side as liong as there is room for them. Once they run out fo room, they drop to the next line. If you want to break a row at a certain place, add any invisible element like yes a <br> tag where you want to break the row, and give it a style of clear:float; to break the floats. The next elements will then start in anew line and float side by side, in the same fashion.

Code:
<div id="inputDiv">...</div>
<br style="clear:both;">

As far as padding, I think what you mean is margin, in which case all you need to do is specify margins to the elements in their CSS.

Code:
#inputDiv{
float:left;
margin-left:5px;
margin-right:5px;

}

Phil AKA Vacunita
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Glad I could help.

Phil AKA Vacunita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back