Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Analog Line IDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosetjau

IS-IT--Management
Jan 20, 2004
US
This one's been giving me a headache just keeping the idea straight.

Have a customer with 12 analog lines in their 406. 6 of those lines they want to use as private lines for individual users, 1 is dedicated to a fax, 1 is dedicated to remote dialin, 1 dedicated for a modem, and the other 3 are pooled as a "main" line group. The problem i'm having is routing the outgoing lines for the 6 users so that the call attempts to try their individual line and if it's busy then roll over to the "trunk pool". So, i'm trying to manage 6 (technically 7) different line ids for outbound calling using 9 as the dial code.

is it possible to use the user restrictions short codes to dial, say, [9]N;/N/1/dial and [9]N;/N/0/dial in the same list? or will the 406 try to go out line group 1 and if it's busy will it try to match group 0 or just disconnect? will it try to match only the first matching short code or will it try all matching codes in the list until it gets a line that's not busy. also tossed around the idea of using lcr but past experience with that makes me want to scream, and trying to do it for 6 lines...

btw, tried to talk the customer out of the private line idea, but their eyes glaze over when you get technical with them. i believe we are overthinking and getting ourselves confused.

anyways, thanks for any ideas you guys can toss my way.

Have you considered a simpler approach? If these are private lines, let the individual user decide if their line is busy. If not busy, let them press their private line appearance. If busy (i.e. they're already on the phone), let them dial 9...
Mike

i'll have to give that a try. we have a bad tendency to overthink things and skip the simple. thanks for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back