Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple ADSL 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holtbyd

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2002
GB
If SDSL is not available and a leased connection too expensive, is it possible to purchase 2 ADSL connections each with its own router and connect both to the LAN in order to double upload speed?
How would you get the devices to balance the load?
David

Dual WAN Routers exist, and most will load balance different streams (more throughput for the network, but not for indivual file transfers)

Googling Dual WAN router:

One suggestion, many DSL resellers are using the same equipment room at the CO. If your interest is failover, try to choose two pipes with nothing in common. For me, this is one DSL and one Cable modem. (my DSL goes south to Jackson MS while my cable goes north to St Louis MO) I would trace route the offerings to be sure they seemed seperate.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Jimbopalmer's suggestion is a good one. You can't run 2 ADSL connections over 1 phone line, you'd need 2 phone lines, each provisioned for ADSL. The added expense would make this cost prohibitive.

Thanks to both jimbopalmer and hispeedtech. The cost of additional phone lines is tiny compared with leased line so this is route I am going down. Have also found load balancing routers at These can take up to 24 simultaneouos ADSL connections. The 2 x ADSL VPN router for around £1,400 is particularly interesting - I am trying to find out if I have to have precisely the same at both ends of the tunnel or if one end can be SDSL/leased line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back