Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple 1100 access points

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrichG

Programmer
Feb 9, 2006
US
My Doc asked me to help her with her LAN. She wants to put a Cisco 1100 series access point upstairs in a two story building to handle about 10 computers upstairs and about 10 down stairs. The building is an old bank of about 2500 sq feet per floor.
I was not sure that the computers down stairs would have a reliable signal with only one unit upstairs, so I thought one up stairs and one down stairs would be best (I really don't know much about this).
The questions has two parts.
1) Will one upstairs handle both floors reliably?
2) If one is down stairs can a computer handle being in the range of two units on the same LAN?

Thanks for any tips or pointers.
Rich G.

I put in some 1100's and I think they went a bit overkill, they had 5 of them one per floor but it was an old building with thick walls, having said that I could connect pretty much to any access point from almost all pc's on all floors. There were a few dead spots but these were in rooms with a lot of walls in the way

I'm no expert but I was told to put each access point on different channels as far apart as possible so they don't conflict.

I have 3 netgear access points in my building and in places you can connect to both, its never caused a problem.

Thanks for the input on this. She has had so many "experts" coming in with their own "you got to do it this way". Then the complexity of the setup starts causing problems later in maintenance. I keep telling her, "keep it simple". So now she has asked me for advise and I do not want to see her go for over kill or insufficient resources.
Looks like either way it will be simple, effective and easy to maintain.

Rich G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back