Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiplayer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

triquad

Programmer
Feb 5, 2009
EG
I would like to know how to make a multi-player game, & real time chat room. Actually, I'm not asking how to make the game itself. I wanna know how to develop the game so users can play it in a multi-player real time mode. After searching online, I have got 2 solutions which are: 1. Adobe Flash Interactive Server. 2. Smart Fox Server.

But whatever those servers are, I can't understand how does the multi-player real time mode is applied using any server. I would appreciate it if somebody can explain it or give me a link explaining the multi-user real time idea.

I can't understand how does the multi-player real time mode is applied using any server.

By using the XMLSocket object you can have real time two-way communication with an open socket server. The server is not your typical web server -- Flash binds to this server and can send or receive data from the server on-the-fly. The connection is 'open' and persistent until the client or server closes it.

So instead of polling a web server every 10 seconds from your flash movie, you don't poll at all. The socket server will 'push' data to the connected flash client.

Here is a great article on it. XML Sockets in Flash

Note: Don't let the 'XML' in 'XMLSocket' confuse you. XML alone doesn't have anything to do with 'open socket servers' or how Flash uses the XMLSocket object to communicate with them.

-a6m1n0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back