Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multimedia on Windows Tutorial 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterRacker

Oct 13, 1999
US
I recently got roped into helping our Marketing folks combine some video clips and stills into a single movie. Much of the material came from various sources and was "fun" to try and convert without artifacts.

I'm not interested in recommended tools but I am looking fo information as this is not my area of expertise. Can anyone recommend a good tutorial or book on general multimedia on the Windows platform? Specifically how various codecs, bit rates, framerates, etc. interact with each other and how to choose the best combination for various projects?

Thanks.

_____
Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

These are the sort of things thrown up on Google, you might find something suitable by searching on there?

PC Magazine Windows XP Digital Media Solutions (Paperback)

Sams Teach Yourself Microsoft Windows XP in 24 Hours

XP Media

I had done some searching and not really found what I wanted. The biggest problem we had encountered was trying to take a Quicktime file, resize it and and convert to an mpeg or wmv format. We used a couple of different tools and kept running into either the aspect ratio getting distorted or a lot of pixeliztion and artifacts. I found the Super converter which seems to convert about anything to anything else with good control. Problem was I still had to blindly try a handful of different combinations to get what I wanted.

The links you guys have posted look like they'll give me the theory I want and more tools (toys) to play with. Thanks.

_____
Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back