Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MultiLine Text box Saving to Access97 Memo field losing data

Status
Not open for further replies.

joannef

Programmer
May 15, 2002
CA
I know that a VB text box can store 64k of data .. an Access memo field in access can handle this as well .. why is it that my multiline text box will not display more than 255 characters? Maxlength in the text box properties is set to 0. Same happens for a RTF as well. Even when I try to cheat and add data directly to the memo field the text box will not display it. (No errors are displayed, just missing data)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Joanne

If I have this right you have data in a memo field in access and you have verified that all of the data is contained within the memo field and is not trundicated.

I would guess that you are also using ADO in a statment similar to...

text1.text = rs.fields("fieldname")

What is happening is that the record can handle only 2k of actual stored data.....

It would be easier to point you to the info in the vb help. Please start you help and go to the search tab and past the following line (including the quotes) in the area you would normally type in your keywords.

"The OLE Object and Memo Data Types"

A document should come up in the topic list

Chapter 6: Working with Records and Fields
(or you could search for this)

go to almost the bottom of this document and you will see your query string highlighted under that you will see a smaller heading...

Handling Large Value Data

you should be able to solve you problems with that or you can switch to DAO which does not have the problem you are describing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back