Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MultiLine display

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsMope

IS-IT--Management
Sep 3, 2003
US
Good morning,
How do I display a text field as multiline in a datagrid view on a form,

such as I have a description field on a form, it can have 255 characters, but in the datagrid I want it to display to fit the grid, this also needs to carry over to the report.. any suggestions?

The textbox control can be shaped to be multi-line when there is more than one line of data. As you say there can be 255 characters held in a textbox and all of these can be displayed by opening the textbox to suit.

Is this the information you are after???

Frank J Hill
FHS Services Ltd.
frank@fhsservices.co.uk

No I don't think so, maybe I didn't explain this enough.

I have a listbox, which is populated by a table, several fields, the "note" field can have 255 characters, but I do not want the listbox control to have to be that wide to accomodate 255 characters, I would like to have it display to fit the form.

Does that explain better? If not I can attach a screenprint or code. let me know

If you are working with a listbox then each entry will occupy one line and (to my knowledge) cannot be displayed in multi-line format.

Why not do a screenshot of your problem!

Frank J Hill
FHS Services Ltd.
frank@fhsservices.co.uk

OK so maybe I can do the formatting to the table itself???

I do not have a website to post the image too...

Why can't you have a listbox showing your fields minus the "notes" (memo?) field, then have a separate textbox for your notes on the side or below the listbox. Then when someone selects an item in the listbox, it will, through code, update the note box appropriately. That's what I do.

How are ya MsMope . . . . .
MsMope said:
[blue]I have a description field on a form, it can have 255 characters, but [purple]in the datagrid I want it to display to fit the grid[/purple][/blue]
No can do as far as [blue]fit to grid[/blue] is concerned. You can set a static height for the record (the text would wrap), but this will be the height for all records.

There are [blue]Can Shrink/Grow[/blue] properties, but as in a Report [blue]their for printing.[/blue]
[blue]I have a listbox, which is populated by a table, several fields, the "note" field can have 255 characters, but I do not want the listbox control to have to be that wide to accomodate 255 characters, [purple]I would like to have it display to fit the form.[/purple][/blue]
[blue]Trendsetter[/blue] is correct here. [blue]Only one line in List/Combo Box[/blue] . . . Sorry!

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back