Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

multiligual development

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhargava

MIS
May 3, 2001
IN
hi,

I was working on an editor and was exploring the possibility to develop a multilingual editor which supports my rregioanl language besides supporting English.

I want to know as to what I am thinking is possible or not, also what environment, tools and technique is required to support such development.

I am using VB6.0 Enterprise editon, WinNT4.0 SP6 for development.

Pls. suggest.

Regards

Amit Bhargava

Hi,

I think the best solution is to store the text in different languages in string tables in a resource file.
There is a good example at Use you browsers search function and look for 'resource' and you'll find it.

Sunaj

bhargava -

I think the contents of an editor are pretty easy, since VB6 knows Unicode.

A tougher problem is changing the interface so that one user sees French, and another can see English. The classic Windows way of doing this is writing resource-only DLLs, which you then load dynamically. An equivalent thing in VB would be to write Active-X DLLs that return the language text you need. I would suggest you have a naming convention for the DLL that incorporates the Windows LCID (Locale ID). I know that 1033 is US English and 1036 is French for the French (as opposed to Swiss-French, Belgian-French, etc). There's a chart in MSDN.

Menus are a little tough, though. You'll need to use API calls to build them on the fly, as I don't know of a way to relate a menu stored in a remote resource DLL with an active program. Maybe you can use something like the Active-Bar OCX to build your menus, instead of using the native VB menus.

You might want to limit yourself to languages which are left-to-right, top-to-bottom. Arabic (right-to-left, top-to-bottom, except for numbers) and the Oriental languages (top-to-bottom, left-to-right, although the Japanese seem to be OK with the western style), are very difficult to handle.

Chip H.

Internationalization with Visual Basic by M. Kaplan (ed. SAMS Publishing)
ISBN: 0672319772 is the best buy you can find for all kinds of international issues using VB.
Consult Table of Contents and read reference chapter at: _________________________________
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. [attributed to Yogi Berra]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back