Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multihoming 2 static IP pools to NAT to an internal network...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kornakmf

Technical User
Aug 21, 2007
I have a Cisco 850 router.

My service provider is having problems with my static IP's and has provided me a second pool of IP's to configure for a failover if the primary IP pool goes down.

The first pool is on a /22 subnet.
66.145.16.244 to 66.146.16.249
The second pool is on a /29 subnet.
98.53.1.154 to 98.53.1.158

Both statics are on a single interface.

I want to create NAT entries to map an IP on each of these networks to an internal IP address...
ie:
66.145.16.244 -> 192.168.0.10
98.53.1.154 -> 192.168.0.10

Then I will create DNS entries so it the first IP pool fails, the second IP pool can route to the internal network.
I cannot see how I can configure my router to handle 2 external IP pools.

I am a little rusty on IOS, so if you can help me with the config, I would appreciate it.

I appreciate any input anyone can provide.

Thanks

Not sure if that can be done the way you want...but my question, and it may not seem to be relevant to the issue, is what sort of problems does the ISP have with the first pool? Also, what exactly are you doing with the addresses? Simple NAT or DMZ?
We may be able to come up with a solution that is less convoluted and easier to deploy and manage.
To specifically answer your question, the two NAT pools would have to be used at random...in other words, I can't think of a way to make them redundant without using more than one outgoing interface. That way, one NAT pool can be affixed to each interface, and the primary interface could be used via a regular default route, and failover can be achieved via a floating static route (0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 pointing to the secondary interface with a higher metric).

Burt

My ISP is having a problem wher my block of static IP addresses intermittently get deprovisioned. I have to reboot my cable modem and router and wait 4 hours for them to come back.

We are trying to use a secondary pool to set as a backup that I want to have fail over to NAT my internal network.

Thanks,
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back