Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

multihomes exchange server gateways conflicting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 22, 2003
US
I am migrating from an older mail server (imail) to a new exchange server (W2K3/E2K3). My old server had two NIC's...one was addressed and connected to a DMZ subnet with the gateway being the default gateway for the DMZ, and the other was addressed and connected to my inside subnet, with that gateway being the default inside gateway address.

this worked perfectly. Internet access was available, all communication from the outside went in through the DMZ interface, and all interal clients received mail bia IMAP from the inside interface.

No i put this exchange box up, with the identical addresses (10.0.8.2/24 for DMZ interface, 10.0.0.8/24 for Internal interface), and i have to disbale one to make the other one work. so i have to choose between allowing SMTP traffic in, or allowing users to get their mail!

why did this work before and why not now?

thanks in advance!

A word of caution. Windows doesn't like multiple gateways

Check your old server for a persistant route,
c:> route print

I would expect you have a route setup through the DMZ interface, otherwise the server we route traffic down the NIC card that appears highest in the binding order.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back