Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multicast setup help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2002
US
I've posted about this some time ago and got side tracked. I was told to setup multicast on my environment. Doing some reading the past few days has me more confused.

I have two 4506 sup 5 for my core and a bunch of 3560's out on the floors on different VLAN's. We have about 5 VLAN's for data on the floors and a server VLAN. We are trying to get Ghost to connect to all the machines. Ghost server in server VLAN.

How do I go about doing this. I've read I had to setup multicast groups. I do also have IGMP enabled by default.

Thanks

easy way is to enable 'ip pim spare-mode' on all of your vlan interfaces on the 4500 (assuming that is the layer3 point) then set an 'ip pim rp-address' this address should be one of your core devices..

this is the absolute simplest way of doing it. there are more options to enable such as auto-rp and msdp using anycast-rp to gain redundancy.

BuckWeet

For a small network, dense mode is easier to implement.

For Example:
Code:
ip multicast-routing
interface FastEthernet0/1
 ip address 172.16.8.1 255.255.255.0
 ip pim state-refresh origination-interval 60
 ip pim dense-mode
You don't have to mess with RPs or anything else.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back