Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiboot Windows : hide "other" system partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PROPAR

Programmer
Oct 25, 2001
FR
I made a dual multiboot Windows PC : W2000 Server & W2003 Server.
W2000 is on the c:\ partition and W2003 on the e:\partition.

How can I hide the "other" partition when I'm using c:\W2000 or e:\W2003 (hide e:\ when I booted W2000 and hide c:\ when I booted W2003) ?

I can't use login info since I log with the same name on both system (domain\admin).

Thank you for your help

You could give this a try.

When you have 2000 booted open disk management (right click My Computer and select manage, then select Disk Management), unasign the drive letter from the E partition. (right click the volume and select change drive letter, then just select Remove. This will remove the E drive from being visible in My Computer.

Do the same when you boot into 2003 (remove the drive letter from the C drive)

I have never tried this but it should work as the drive letter mapping in disk manager is controled by the OS that is currently running.

Let me know how you get on.

Daire

Another solution, Create a local Group policy (gpedit.msc) for each os that Hides the drive.

Since I'm green in Windows2000 group admin, I'd better try the disk management solution at first thought.
However I'm worried by the c:\boot.ini file.

Hiding the E:\ partition is no threat since boot.ini is avalaible for the W2000 to boot on C:\, but can the C:\ hide impair the W2003 boot since boot.ini is on c:\ and then unavailable ?

Since you are new to 2000 admin, the I would suggest getting your feet wet with GPOs... Yes the other is a simple solution, but you will be using GPOs more often in your job. And personally I don't like mucking with drives once they are set up, even if the configuration will be in different registries.

my two cents...

I was indeed surprised that executing something that was not an EXE popped up a system managing window...
A whole new world is now opened for me.
I'm going to wander in the world of adminsitrators.
Anyway thank you both for your clues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back