Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MULTIBOOT/98/XP-how do I get drive c back after crash with 98???please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2002
US
I know I will have to format or partition drive c after windows 98 completly crashed. Which one, and how? Never have done either. WindowsXP is doing fine on drive D. I really need my drive C. Tried formatting it through Run and Command Prompt, but kept coming back to same question of volume, etc. This lost little girl would appreciate all the help you can muster.

A few questions first.

What happened to Win98? You may not have to re-format maybe just reinstall, but with Win2k and XP there you will have to do some extra work.

The problem is, when you installed Win2k/XP it modifies the boot sector of your hard drive. So if you reformat C drive (which will contain the boot sector) you may not be able to get into Win2k/XP untill you get the boot sector changed to recognise all your OS's.

Are you using a boot manager, like System Commander or Boot Magic?

What was the error you got when you did try to reformat? New Zealand, a great place to visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back