Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi-User Sharing Front End

Status
Not open for further replies.

meagain

MIS
Nov 27, 2001
CA
We have an application that currently operates on a Front End - Back End scenario with a Front End loaded on each user's workstation. Shortly, we will bring other users onboard via Citrix and they will be sharing a Front End. For the most part this will not be a problem, however part of the processes consist of them sharing various tables within the front end. I am able to identify the user in all but one table and I need a solution so that only one user can use that table at a time. The reason for this is that the table is created (from a master) when the user is ready and appends applicable records in order to assign an auto-number to each line, which must commence at 1 every time.

I was thinking of using a form which on open would determine whether the table existed and if so would wait and retry the if scenario a few seconds later until such time as the table was no longer there and would then run the associated macro to create the table from master and carry out the rest of the routine.

I would appreciate someone's assistance in providing me with the Event Procedure code that I could apply to the form to make this happen.

Thanks so much!!

If you HAVE to share a front-end (I ran across this too, and had to share some temporary tables). I just added a username column to each table and most of my stuff worked with minor modifications. I just filtered on the username.

However, I have HEARD that even with Citrix it MAY BE better (depending on circumstances) to push out a COPY to each user's workspace (even though its technically on the server)

Visit the pages of Tony Toews for some insights.
Here is one link.

HTH,
Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your comments. I had already added an userID field to tables that I could, but still need a solution for having the process wait while another user's work passes through one particular table. I can only have one user use this table at a time.

I'll keep your thoughts on Citrix in mind.

Thank you!!

Lori

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back