Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi User Netwk based mdb gets corrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJohnE

Technical User
Nov 3, 2009
US
I have a large database that is used by many different users at the same time. It doesn't happen all the time but is sporadic in nature. folks will exit the database but then when they try to go back into it they get an error saying that the database needs to be repaired or it is not an access database. Since there are other users in it they can not repair and if they do it sometimes will lock up all the other users.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to check to correct this, or know what causes these types of problems?

I think its from exiting the database abruptly by clicking the X in the corner or performing a Task End in the Task Manager but this is just based on what I heard or read somewhere and isn't really based on known truth.

This is written in Access 2003 and links to Oracle tables using ODBC. It is rather large (59,268 KB) and is heavily laden with code.

If you are suggesting that it is a single front end on the network and everyone uses the same front end, then of course it gets corrupted.
I would not even begin to trouble shoot this until each user has their own copy of the front end on their local machine.

MajP,
I created it as a single mdb and then use the database splitter utility. How do you make multiple user interfaces, simply copy the original to various users?

S J E
If I am not learning, then I am coasting, if I am coasting I must be going down hill.

Yes simply make each user a copy. You will have to ensure that the links are saved as UNC paths, not drive letter paths. Since different users will have different drive letters.

Make sure to compact and repair your front ends. I would compact on close the front ends.

This should radically increase your performance, but there are some other things to help.
Tables

Read up on linked database performance.

If there is a Data Entry form, I would add a close button, code a controlled shutdown and remove the Red X from the form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back