Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi User in Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

calvert

Technical User
Jun 26, 2000
GB
I need to know how to get my Access database to accept orders into the Order table from more than one person/workstation at a time. The system is set to No Locks, Shared. The tables are held on the server (WinNT) and the workstations (WIN98) have the 'front end'. If two people are entering orders and hit the Accept button at the same time Access cannot handle it. One PC gets a new order number, the other doesn't.<br><br>Any ideas - I'd appreciate it!!!&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>

The reason the second one does not get the next number is because the first one did not commit changes or saved it yet.<br>To fix that create a button on your form that creates a new record and then saves it.&nbsp;&nbsp;Like so:<br>------------------------<br>Private Sub Command5_Click()<br>On Error GoTo Err_Command5_Click<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;' Addnew record<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'save record<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, , acMenuVer70<br>Exit_Command5_Click:<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Exit Sub<br><br>Err_Command5_Click:<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;MsgBox Err.Description<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Resume Exit_Command5_Click<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>End Sub<br>---------------------------<br>Instruct your users to use that button from now on.<br><br>Now one problem with this method is if user hits this button then decides that they really did not want to make a new one, you will have a blank record with just the number holding it in place.<br><br>So don't create a new record unless you really want to....<br> <p>DougP<br><a href=mailto: dposton@universal1.com> dposton@universal1.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

If you ever get the opportunity, migrate the database to sql server & use access 2000 purely as a front end.&nbsp;&nbsp;Its got to be the quickest client development tool I've ever come across (although access 2000 seems a tad buggy at the moment).&nbsp;&nbsp;You can kiss goodbye to all your multi user issues once your on sql server.

I agree with WayNest SQL Server 7 is a fabulous product <br>But it still lacks a front end<br>I prefer Acess '97 but anyway<br><br>Also<br>If you can learn a little .ASP (active server pages) guess what now your data is on the WEB. So you can have a seamless WEB site and total integration to your company...<br><br>&nbsp;and then you are on your way to E-Commerce.<br><br><br> <p>DougP<br><a href=mailto: dposton@universal1.com> dposton@universal1.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back