Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi-User database pulls up same record for two users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2002
US
I have a form for data entry that pulls some information already existing in the table. I have five users. How do I lock a record when someone is working on it. Currently, all five users could pull up the exact same person.

Please Help. Thanks.

Hi

It depends on WHEN you want to lock the record.

The default is optimistic locking, which means Access (or Jet to be more precise), locks the record at the time of update, the alternative is pessimistic locking which locks the record on reading it.

Be aware that in A97 it locks a whole page, not just the record you are updating, this may lead to more contention than you might expect. Later versions (I am not sure if it is A2K or AXP) allow row level locking as an option.

Regards
Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
UK
kenneth.reaySPAMNOT@talk21.com
remove SPAMNOT to use

Hi,
Row level locking is supported in Access 2000. The property is available under Tools->Options->Advanced. Check the Open Databases using Record level locking. Hope it helps. Let me know what happens.
With regards,
PGK

I have record level locking checked (Access 2000). I want it to lock the record upon reading it. How can I change that default? As Ken Reay said above...the default locks the record at the time of update.

Hi
Not absolutely sutre on this one, most of experience is A97, not A2K, but I think it is options advanced tab, then select edited record Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
UK
kenneth.reaySPAMNOT@talk21.com
remove SPAMNOT to use

If one user is viewing the record, I really don't want the other user to be able to pull up the same record. Does that make sense? It works as far as not letting more than one person edit/save the record, but I don't even want them to be able to see it.
Thanks for all of your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back