Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi-User Access Slows Badly

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamchemist

Programmer
Mar 2, 2009
US
I wonder if one of you Access Gurus can explain a slow down I just saw.

I am responsible for a simple Multi-User Access 2007 System at a non-profit Food Pantry. This Application is a split Database, where two Laptops at the front end (both running Front-End split software) communicate via wired, 1Gbps Ethernet to a Desktop that is acting as a Server and runs the Front-End split software. There is a 1Gbps Ethernet switch in the System to allow two Laptops to talk to one Desktop Ethernet port. This system runs surprisingly slowly from the two Laptops, normally taking about 20 seconds to pull up a large, multi-tab form. I have thought for a while that things might improve, if I could somehow manage "collisions" at the Back-End, as both laptops must frequently access the same two large tables in the Back-End. Unfortunately I do not know how to adjust that parameter.

I have just noticed that, when only one Laptop is logged into the Access Application, thing run 3-4 times faster. When the second Laptop is logged into the Application, things slow down to normal again for both laptops. Surprisingly, logging off the second Laptop again speeds things back up very little, if at all. Only rebooting the desktop and then logging only one Laptop into the Application speeds things back up again.

Would someone explain to me what is happening here? Is there any way to get the faster speed, when both Laptops are logged into the Application?

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back