Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi-team deployment issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catadmin

Programmer
Oct 26, 2001
US
ACK!

So, here I am at my new job, thinking I'm learning RS because they have it deployed in their environment, only to find out that I'm a member of one of the teams *expected* to deploy it in the near future...

Due to SOX and other issues, we're going to have 3 servers: Development, QC and Production.

There are also three teams: Development, QC and Production. I'm a member of the Dev team. We have to figure out a way to deploy the Reports to the Dev server for development, then allow the QC team to deploy the reports from the Dev server to the QC server for testing, and finally to allow the Prod team to deploy the reports from the QC server to the Production server without the use of the Visual Studio .Net Deployment tool (since the Production team doesn't have access, and likely the QC team doesn't either).

One of my co-workers is thinking he'll have to write a whole new app to import the reports. The other option we can think of is the RS.exe script, but that will require someone managing that script full time.

Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"If a person is Microsoft Certified, does that mean that Microsoft pays the bills for the funny white jackets that tie in the back???

I beleive you can take the .RDL files from the Dev box where they are created, then move them to the QA box. Once tested on QA you should be able to move them from either the Dev box or the QA box to the Production server since they will be the same.

I say this because you have relayed that the QA and Prod have no development/designer platforms to further change the RDL.

Thanks

J. Kusch

<nodnod> Yep, they don't currently have the development/designer platform, which makes my job of figuring this out even harder.

BTW, someone else on the Microsoft Newsgroup suggested I look into the follow RS Scripting tool.
Looks like scripting this might be the only answer. Haven't opened up the tool yet to see if this is something that requires constant baby-sitting or not. I'll let everyone know if it's a handy piece or not as soon as we get things up and running.

Thanks, Jay, for the advice.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"If a person is Microsoft Certified, does that mean that Microsoft pays the bills for the funny white jackets that tie in the back???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back