Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi Server Trigger Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2003
US
Hello all,
I need to see if something I have been tasked with is possible and if it is any help on how to code it would be much appreciated. Here goes,
Two servers SERVER-A and SERVER-B. SERVER-A HAS DATABASE-A with TABLE-A with COLUMNS 1 2 3. SERVER-B has the exact same scenerio DATABASE-B TABLE-B COLUMNS 1 2 3. I need to program a trigger that fires after *5911 gets inserted into S-A T-A C-1. This trigger needs to build a temp TABLE C on S-A D-A with COLUMNS 1 2 3 and populate it with the results of a SELECT statement ran on S-B D-B T-B the SELECT statement is simple:
SELECT COLUMN 1, COLUMN 2, COLUMN 3
FROM SERVER-B DATABASE-B TABLE-B
All columns are VARCHAR (50) NULL, this includes TEMP TABLE-C
I tried to simplify the scenerio as much as possible because I am horrible with triggers. It is more complicated then the above but if someone could help me with this I can go from here. Thanks alot to anyone that can help!

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
- Confucius (551 BC - 479)

Questions:

Are the two databases on separate physical servers?

(If 'yes') Do you have a link built between the two servers so that they may talk to each other?

--------------------------------------------------
Stubbornness is a virtue -- if you are right. --Chuck Noll
--------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back