Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi-Server Site & Remote Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Structures

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2002
CA
Greetings from my first post!

When I started here, we were running Exchange 5.5 on a single server. We have the internet connector installed and have pop3 and smtp defined on our external DNS. Both are defined as our external static IP address (our router's IP address).

In the router, I have a static NAT defined for both the POP3 and SMTP ports to point to our original mail server's internal IP address.

We are going through the process of retiring this original server, so I added a second server to the site and started using the administrator's tool to move mail boxes from the original server to the new server.

We have several sales people that access their e-mail remotely while they are traveling. They make an internet connection, then configure Outlook (or Outlook Express) to have have their POP3 server be the DNS entry and their SMTP server also be the DNS entry.

So long as the user's mailbox resides on the original server (the one that the router has the static NAT's to) the user is able to access their in-box from outside the network just like a standard POP3 mailbox. However, if the user's mailbox is on the new server, they are not able to access their e-mail from outside the network.

SMTP mail sent from outside the organization does get through to the appropriate mailbox, regardless of what server the mailbox is on.

What configuration changes do I need to make to allow users to access their mailbox from outside the LAN, regardless of the server their mailbox resides on?

ASI Admin in Calgary

I have not set up external users for POP3 access to an exchange site. I am aware only of the configuration for POP3 to a single server. (It must be possible, or how would Yahoo handle the millions of mailboxes...maybe Linux and Eudoramail?)
What about configuring a VPN server, then you can eliminate the POP3 altogether, just config outlook client like they are internal; they dial their ISP, make the VPN, and Outlook connects to the exchange organization?

Alex

We will be moving to a VPN in the not too distant future, and that will solve the problem for about 80% of our users. However, we still have several users that will not be on the VPN and that does not solve my immediate problem.

I'm going to try setting up another NAT just for POP3 (this time pointing to the new server) and see what happens. But there has got to be some other method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back