Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi-Select filter for Concatenated field

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vittles

Programmer
Dec 7, 2000
US
I have a form with a multi-select list box that I use to filter several reports. If nothing is selected and the button for a report is clicked, all of the data is given, otherwise, if one or more people's names are selected only the data related to the selected individuals is shown.

So far I have 2 reports set up which are working great using this form. I went to add another report, but haven't had the same results. This report is based on a query 'PubMed Info' and has a concatenated text box field on it. When I select a person from the list the report's openargs and filter is set correctly, but the concatenated field does not get filtered. The formula for this field is ="{Insert Reviewer Last Name First Initial[AU] } AND (2003 [DP] OR 2004 [DP] OR 2005 [DP] OR 2006 [DP] OR 2007[DP]) AND (" & ConcatenateOr("Select[Last Name] & ' ' & [First Initial] & '[AU]' from [PubMed Info]") & ")"

I think the concatenation is still pulling from the original query - not the filtered version. Is there a way to have this report & it's field function like the other reports which use this multi-select list?

ps. I haven't found a successful way to incorporate the field into the baseline query itself as it becomes too complex.

Thanks for any responses.

Which language did you use for The formula for this field is ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Thanks for responding. I am not sure I know what you are asking...but here are more specifics. I am using Access 2003.

I have tried putting the control source of:

="{Insert Reviewer Last Name First Initial[AU] } AND (2003 [DP] OR 2004 [DP] OR 2005 [DP] OR 2006 [DP] OR 2007[DP]) AND (" & ConcatenateOr("Select[Last Name] & ' ' & [First Initial] & '[AU]' from [PubMed Info]") & ")"

into the text box itself as well as trying to assign this value via the on print & on format events by adding:
me.Results="{Insert Reviewer Last Name First Initial[AU] } AND (2003 [DP] OR 2004 [DP] OR 2005 [DP] OR 2006 [DP] OR 2007[DP]) AND (" & ConcatenateOr("Select[Last Name] & ' ' & [First Initial] & '[AU]' from [PubMed Info]") & ")"

The ConcatenateOr command calls the following module into play (I adjusted the original to include an 'or' between each value):

Function ConcatenateOr(pstrSQL As String, _
Optional pstrDelim As String = " Or ") _
As String
'Created by Duane Hookom, 2003
'this code may be included in any application/mdb providing
' this statement is left intact

Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset
rs.Open pstrSQL, CurrentProject.Connection, _
adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic
Dim strConcat As String 'build return string
With rs
If Not .EOF Then