Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanos

IS-IT--Management
Mar 4, 2002
GB
woa is me....oh woa is me.

After installing a second procesor to my system and running uptomp.exe, then re-installing sp6 over the top, my lovely NT4 server decided not to recognise the second processor. It initializes fine, but nt wont recognise it.
So after re-seating the processor, and restarting, it initialized and NT found it.....success.

.....untill recently when i restarted the server, only to find the second processor isnt recognised again.

any idea's why NT just wont play the game even tho the bios recognises and initializes the 2nd cpu??

Perplexed??....yup thats me.

Sean

If NT successfully found the processor after reseating it, I would take the processor out, use a can of air and spray out all the dust in the server, then depending on if the processor is a cartridge type you can take a pencil eraser and clean the contacts. If it is not a cartridge style use the air on all the pins and make sure one of the pins is not bent. You probably already done this, but this would be my suggestion. Also update your system bios if you have not already. I have had bios updates resolve some really bizarre problems before. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back