Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi-line attributes

Status
Not open for further replies.

1inchgroup

Technical User
May 3, 2007
US
This should be simple, but it's not working. Thinking there's a checkbox or a setting I missed somewhere, hopefully someone has found the missing setting I'm fumbling for.

Using the attdef command to set attributes for text in a title block. Simple, except for that little tickbox that you check for multiline text.

I set the Project Title as multiline text, with a 5" boundary, justified middle center so it will multiline at the boundaries...or so I thought.

The dialog box comes up just fine when you insert the block, but when you type in the long project title, it comes in left justified and one line of text, stretching beyond the titleblock.

I'm messing around with variables and whatnot to get this field to fill in automatically on each sheet, etc..etc. The multiline stuff has me beat though.

Any ideas?

Ah, this might help... LDD 2008 is the current software we're working with.

I played with it-

if I defined a default string (and a width?) in the attdef dialog box using the multiline text editor, I didn't get multiline attributes. But if I used the option "boundary width" in lower right corner I did get the multi-line effect.

Thanks Carl...this is strange. Want to see something stranger-er? That block you just made that didn't work? Do a plot preview on it...it shows up in the plot preview as stacked multiline text, just not in the display on screen.

I can't get it to stack on screen with any of the options it seems. Maybe it is broken.

Every time I get closer to the answer the question changes. Hopefully someone has found a solution for what should be a simple problem.

Title block
-Project Title
--should be multiline text.

I know the block name (TB_24x36), I know the tag for the attribute on each tab I want to change (PTITLE)

It should be relatively simple to ask for user input with the following...(setq TB1 (getstring 1 "Please enter the project title:"))...then pass the variable on to the attribute to be updated on each sheet

But multiline text falls through the cracks here. No multiline for attributes...fields...

How are you trying to edit the attribute with the user input? With "-attedit" command, or 'entmod' the attribute group code info using Lisp? It should be possible with entmod, don't know about attedit.

Was probably headed the entmod route, but it just doesn't look like it's going to work with attributes. Doing a little reading, and it looks like an Mtext field can be used in Sheet Manager for that purpose, but haven't had much experience with that part of the software.

FYI, I tried an 'entmod' of an mtext attribute and it worked. It had to be a little different than a text attribute, for some reason there was multiple group code 1 entries; needed to modify the last one.

I don't know exactly what your doing or much about Sheet manager so can't help there.

Yeah, I haven't spent much time in the Sheet Manager either, always seemed to be too buggy to depend on. Basically, just trying to set a variable so that variable will be applied to the project title field in every sheet...so you don't have to type the same information every sheet. Run a lisp, input/dialog box pops up asking user what the title is, they type in the title, and all the sheets in the set are updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back