Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi columns in XHTML?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2006
US
Hello,

What is the best way to create a table like effect using XHTML? Do you remember the old table layout method of creating a complex data container? This was great because you could assign static width elements and the remaining table contains would resize and flow to fit its containing table.

What method is the best for replicating this using CSS?

Code:
<table width="100%">
<!-- header row -->	
<tr>
		<td>File Name</td> <!-- this will auto resize -->
		<td width="25">File Size</td>
		<td width="25">Action</td>
	</tr>
<!--/header row -->	

<!-- data -->	
<tr>
		<td>My File</td>
		<td width="25">725kb</td>
		<td width="25">Edit | Delete</td>
	</tr>

<!--/data -->	
</table>

Shawn Molloy
Seattle, WA

1. You could argue that that is tabular data and use ... a table. Tables are not forbidden in XHTML and should not be avoided if you're producing tabular data. However, you should read up on tables though. At least use th for table headers, maybe use thead, tbody and tfoot for sections of the table and cols to define the widths of columns -- that way you don't need to do it in every line.

2. If you use a list element and then float two boxes on the right side that have fixed width. You could use unordered list and spans for boxes or try it with definition list with definition term for filename and definition description for size and actions.

Both methods I think would be valid, you just need to decide for yourself which one you like more.

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I should have mentioned earlier... the intention of my question was to figure out how to change a property in the entire row with css. For example, this only changes one td bgcolor property:

Code:
onMouseOver="this.bgColor='#E5E5E5'" onMouseOut="this.bgColor='#ffffff'"

I figured this would be easier to accomplish with xhtml.

Thanks,

Shawn Molloy
Seattle, WA

ShawnMolloy said:
... the intention of my question was to figure out how to change a property in the entire row with css.

I picked up this piece of code from a Tek-tips thread once. I don't know the author, but it changes the color of all columns in a row at once on mouseover.

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
    "[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">[/URL]

<html>
<head>
<title>Untitled</title>
<style type="text/css">
td { font-size: 18px; }
.c1 { background-color: red; }
.c2 { background-color: green; }
.c3 { background-color: gray; }
.c4 { background-color: yellow; }
.c5 { background-color: aqua; }
.cellOver { background-color: white; }
</style>
<script language="javascript"><!--
var rowList = "";
function changeColor(blnOver, rowTarget) {
    var cells = rowTarget.cells;
    if (rowList.indexOf(rowTarget.id + ",") == -1) {
        for (var i = 0; i < cells.length; i++) {
            cells[i].className = (blnOver) ? "cellOver" : ("c" + (i + 1))
        }
    }
}
function alterList(rowId) {
    rowId += ",";
    rowList = (rowList.indexOf(rowId) > -1) ? rowList.replace(rowId, "") : rowList + rowId;
}
--></script>
</head>
<body>
<table><tr id="r1" onclick="alterList(this.id);" onmouseover="changeColor(true, this);" onmouseout="changeColor(false, this);">
<td class="c1">Stuff</td>
<td class="c2">Stuff</td>
<td class="c3">Stuff</td>
<td class="c4">Stuff</td>
<td class="c5">Stuff</td>
</tr><tr id="r2" onclick="alterList(this.id);" onmouseover="changeColor(true, this);" onmouseout="changeColor(false, this);">
</tr><tr id="r3" onclick="alterList(this.id);" onmouseover="changeColor(true, this);" onmouseout="changeColor(false, this);">
</tr></table>
</body>
</html>

Mike Krausnick
Dublin, California

Mike, it'd be easier to have the Javascript change the class of the tr, and then define the desired colour change in CSS. Indeed, better browsers don't require any javascript at all:
Code:

tr:hover .c1,
tr:hover .c2,
tr:hover .c3,
tr:hover .c4,
tr:hover .c5 { background-color: white; }
You just have to use JS to make IE recognise :hover on elements other than <a>.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Chris,

Good tip. Can you show how to coax IE to recognize :hover on elements other than anchors?

Mike Krausnick
Dublin, California

onmouseover="this.className='c1';"

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you.

either way your gonna need an onmouseover event!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you.

Wouldn't using tr:hover eliminate the need for a mouseover?

Shawn Molloy
Seattle, WA

Mike, it'd be easier to have the Javascript change the class of the tr, and then define the desired colour change in CSS. Indeed, better browsers don't require any javascript at all:

CODE

tr:hover .c1,
tr:hover .c2,
tr:hover .c3,
tr:hover .c4,
tr:hover .c5 { background-color: white; }
You just have to use JS to make IE recognise :hover on elements other than <a>.

so the question still remains if you want it to work in I.E. how do you make I.E. recognise :hover on elements other than <a>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back