Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi Channel mode Back to Duotone Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawnwise

Technical User
Aug 20, 2003
US
I have about 15 duotones created and converted to multi-channel mode and saved as DCS 2 for printing, Here's the problem. our new Rip wont read the seps saved this way. they need to be saved in duotone mode not multi channel. I can't convert directly back to Duotone, when I convert to grayscale and then to duotone the color balance is all wrong. is there and easy way to do this or do I need to start over from scratch? I cant get the two channels to merge. That option is grayed out. Any thoughts? (Photoshop 7 by the way)

In Photoshop, your options are quite limited. A duotone is basically a grayscale image. It contains some extra information to interpret, say, 50% gray as a distinct mixture of two different inks, but each pixel is interpreted internally as a shade of gray. So, if you fill your image with one color, even if it is a quadtone, it will be the same even mix of inks over the whole image. Using spot channels, you are able to vary the intensity of individual inks independently of others, so there is no direct conversion available between the two.

An alternative would be to save individual spot channels as grayscale images. Then use another application (such as Illustrator, InDesign or QuarkXPress) to color and overprint the two images, placing them directly over each other. Most RIPs can handle overprinting, although you have to be precise.

If your spot channels are process colors, however, then it's easy: just copy and paste into a new cmyk document into the appropriate channel.

Yeah, I have a similar problem in PS, with my duotones looking like a greyscale image (if you were to mix the two pantone colours to make a single colour. so everything is a tint of that mixed colour, as per a greyscale image)

Is it possible when using a duotone image, to use varying perecntages of each solid colour, rather than tints of the colours mixed together?

I'd really appreciate an answer on this, thanks!

Let's say you specify two colors in the duotone dialog box, for example, blue and yellow. If you do nothing else with the image, then "black" will simply be a mix of 100% blue and 100% yellow, Mid-gray will be 50% blue and 50% yellow, and so on.

To vary the values a little, go back into the duotone dialog box and click on the curves beside the color. You can manipulate the curve directly for each color, or enter values into the text boxes.

For example, suppose you want mid-gray to be 70% blue and 40% yellow. Click on the blue curve, then enter "70" in the 50% text box. In the yellow curve, enter "40" in the same place. This is the only way you can manipulate the ink coverage in duotone images.

Some people set certain areas to 0 in one ink and 100 in the other to fool photoshop into replicating spot channels. This works to a point, but it narrows the tonal range, and is very difficult to get just right.

This is the only way you can manipulate the ink coverage in duotone images."

Really?

I was hoping that was not the case. I've used the curves before but you merely get the same effect, albeit with a different mix of the two colours.

How do I access the full range of tints (0-100%) for each of my two pantone colours, without neccesarily having them mix to create a new color?

This is frustrating!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back