Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi-boot software suggestions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarzan

Programmer
Apr 22, 2003
US
One of my clients (car repair shop) needs a laptop to run software that interfaces with diagnostic tool he has. The problem is that each car manufacturer he deals with has different software to interface with this device, each having different requirements (one being that some require a 32 bit OS and some require 64 bit), and even when the OS requirements are the same, there are sometimes compatibility issues, so ideally you want only one car manufacturer's software installed per Windows installation.

What I would like to do is set up multiple boot partitions on a new laptop, each having one car line's software and the appropriate OS (Win7 32 bit or Win7 64 bit). I might need 4 or 5 different partitions. I would also like the boot menu to be someone customizable so I can put the car line in the menu choices.

Does anyone have experience with or recommend any multi-boot software? I'm not necessarily looking for a free package, just one that is as flexible and reliable as possible.

How about using grub
It is not windows but if he wants to run Linux and other bespoke OSs as well, grub can handle it. Remember to use grub2: not grub.

The other alternative is to use sysdm.cpl - Advanced/Startup and recovery and set different OSs in the drop down menu.

Windows is perfectly capable of handling multi-snoot scenarios on its own. You can also edit the names of the windows installations in the Boot Menu it generates to whatever you want.
You can use the link Chris provided to setup your Windows installations, and then from any of them, run the bcdedit command to change the names that appear on the list.

Note that you will need valid license keys for each installation of Windows you plan on having.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Note that you will need valid license keys for each installation of Windows you plan on having.

You can legitimately use both the 32bit and 64bit versions as dual boot on the same license/product key as it is the same computer and they cannot be used simultaneously.

Microsoft retail licensing prohibits use on more than one machine at the same time. Dual booting does not violate those terms.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Actually, Microsoft closed that 'loophole' some time ago. The Windows 7 EULA for full retail, for example, states

Microsoft W7 Pro EULA said:
b. License Model. The software is licensed on a per copy per computer basis. A computer is a physical hardware system with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate computer.

In other words, nope, you need a licence per partition

Thanks to everyone for the replies, I will look over these links this week...

And yes, licensing was going to be my next question so I'm glad it was addressed... How lame!! (even for Microsoft)

Forgetting the dual boot part for the moment, let's say I clone my hard drive (for backup / disaster recovery purposes) that has Win7 Pro full retail to another hard drive. Have I just violated the EULA? Or if I plugged that clone in to test it, did I violate the EULA then?

The EULA is ...erm ... hazy on that. The only reference to backups is of the original media (whether physical or digital), of which your are entitled to take 1 copy. With disk clones, the main view is that as long as the clone is only ever restored to the original machine, then all is well. Testing the clone ... gray area; technically a breach of the EULA

>How lame!! (even for Microsoft)

You want to read the Mac OS X EULA, then ...

You have to hand it to them for the marketing strategies.

Accounts: "Sales are dropping"

Marketing: "Right then, let's change the rules to make it so people have to buy two copies of the same software.

They do keep insisting on trying to nail down the lid while they are inside.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Thanks to everyone who replied, this was a huge help.

I used a spare laptop I had as a test, got five Windows 7 installs working, each labeled on a boot menu. Chris and vacunita were correct, Windows 7 has everything built into it to get the job done. But in researching further I found that the method Chris linked to from microsoft has a limitation of 4 partitions (since you cannot have more than 4 Primary partitions) ... probably more than sufficient for most, but in my case I may need more than that... so I went with the instructions in the link below (which uses Logical partitions, limited only to drive space and drive letters available). And it worked perfectly.

And the link vacunita gave was perfect for setting up the boot menu.

I have a question though;

Using the above methods was great... I'm summarizing the steps (and skipping some) but after creating all the logical partitons..
1) Install Windows 7 on one logical partition. (base install only)
2) Install drivers, windows updates, other s/w
3) BCDEDIT to change the boot menu name
Repeat for the other partitions

This works fine, and most importantly: when you boot and choose one partition, whichever partition you choose becomes the C drive. But, I would have to install drivers / updates / other standard software repeatedly for as many partitions as I have. So even better, would be this:

1) Install Windows 7 on one partition. (base install only)
Repeat for the other partitions (base installs on all the partitions)

2a) Then, on the first partition, install drivers, windows updates, other s/w
2b) Create an image of that partition (I used Macrium free version in my tests)
2c) Restore that image onto each of the other partitions (So I dont have to repeatedly install drivers, updates, and other software!)
2d) Use BCDEdit to change the boot menu names to what you want

This actually worked fine also BUT this seemed to have the side effect of, the partition you choose at the boot menu retains its drive letter, so depending on your choice at the boot menu, you are running Windows from C:\Windows, or from D:\Windows, or from E:\Windows etc etc. It works, but im worried about poorly written software that assumes that windows is on the C: drive.

I would love to find a way to restore a base image and have each be the C drive, but still I'm very happy with the results so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back