Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi-boot question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattWray

Technical User
Nov 2, 2001
US
I have 2 questions about multi-booting. As of right now I have Win98 on a 40 gig drive and win2k on a 10 gig drive.
Question1: How do I change the default system that boots and how do I change the time before it boots?
Question2: I am going to install Linux on the 40 gig drive using the partitioning software included. When I install will it be the same as setting up the multi-boot I have? Thanks in advance! Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

I would use partition magic to free up some space (I would recommend at least 2 GB, 4 would be even better) on the 40 GB drive. Then I would move the existing Windows 98 partition to the end of the drive, leaving the empty partition in the beginning of the drive.

Make this the primary master drive in your machine. Boot up the Linux CD (or however you are doing it) and install linux in the free space, being careful to leave the existing Windows partitions unchanged (i.e. use the manual partitioning, not automatic). Use Grub or Lilo as the boot loader.

When you are done, Linux should boot fine. You may even get a boot menu showing "dos" for the other partitions. More likely, you will have to edit grub or Lilo's configuration files to show the other operating systems at boot time. Search Google for "chainloader Windows 2000 linux grub lilo". You should find plenty of results.

If you have the Win 2000 drive on Fat32, you should be able to mount it from within Linux, If not, consider changing it using Partition Magic. The 98 partition will be accessible from Linux, making it unnecessary to devote a ton of space at the outset. It will all be available regardless.

cheers,

steve 'Then I thought - it is easier to get out of the way when we are in it, than to get in when we are out'... John Bunyon, "Pilgrims Progress"

Edit /etc/lilo.conf so that the os you want to boot as first choice is the first in the list.

Alter the standard lilo stuff (see below) so that the 'other=windows' stanza is first in the list. alter timeout=0 to whatever timeout you wish before it auto boots into the 1st choice OS. Time is in 10ths of a second I think.

boot=/dev/hda1
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=0
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label=linux
root=/dev/hda7
read-only

Once you've edited the file save it as /etc/lilo.conf (as this overwrites the original it's worth saving the old one as lilo.old or something so you can recover it if necessary.
Open a shell console and type lilo at the command prompt. If all goes to plan, you should see it say something like:

adding windows *
adding linux

The * tells you which one is the default operationg system. Be brave, default to linux!

Try or for more info (or the Lilo Howto's supplied in the system doc.

U need to choose a 'Custom install' .
When u do it this way, u can choose which is your default boot up system & the time b4 it boots.

As for the second question, i'm not sure but i think it depends on which version of Linux u r using.

I used Redhat 7.0, & that did not allow me to resize partitions. I had to use Partition magic for that. Incidently, i downloaded the cracked version from Morpheus.

Also it also depends on where u load LILO. The best place for it is the,'MBR'. Make sure u specify that in the custom install.

Hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back