Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mulituser problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

risma

MIS
Aug 16, 2003
US
Dear experts,

I have developed an Access application and placed it on a Server for use by some 8 users. The following warning pops up when a user tries to save his work while other user(s) is in the same database:

'Job' has been changed since the last time you opened it, either by another user or because another instance of it was opened on your own machine.

Do you want to replace the changes that you or anothe user made?

*To save your most recent changes and discard the other user's changes or your previous changes, click Yes.
*To save this version othe the object with another name, click No.

The version of Access used is Access 97. I checked the Options setting in the database and the settings are:

Default Open Mode - "Shared"
Default record locking - "No locks"
DDE operations - "Enable DDE Refresh"
OLE/DDE timeout - 30
Refresh interval - 60
Number of update retries - 2
ODBC refresh interval - 1500
Update retry interval - 250

What else have I missed out? Please help....

Thank you in advance
Tony

risma

Is this reference of a change for "Job" an Access form used to accept Access data?

Specifically, a form stores the filters and orders...

Take a look at
me.filter
me.order by
values in the form. With more than one user using the same form, they may change thr property of the form by unintentionally entering data into these two filters.

I split my database with the database on the server and the forms component on the desktop so I don't run into this problem.

I am sure others may come up with something more definitive, but try...

- Clearing me.filter and me.order upon closing the form. Turn off the control buttons, add your "Close Form" button and include...
me.filter = ""
me.orderby = ""
- Try using the value changing AllowDesignChanges property to design view only.

Richard

Hi Willir,

Thank you so much for your reply. It pointed me to the right direction about the form. I eventually splitted the database into the front end and back end components. It seems to be working fine and the warning message does not come up again.

Best regards
Tony

Default record locking - "No locks"
should be changed to:
Default record locking - "Edited record"

Then, since the 'evil' has been already done, open each form, display its properties and change the property "Record Locks" to "Edited record"

Never again leave 'No locks' when creating a multi-user application. Maybe not even in single-user programs.

HTH

[pipe]
Daniel Vlas
Systems Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back