Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mulitple Users selecting multiple records from a shared table

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUnderwood

Programmer
Nov 21, 2002
GB
Hi

I have a networked database which 10-20 people use at any one time. An interface allows them all to view a single table and perform run-time built queries on this table.

We now want to be able to select individual records (ie tickbox) to perform some action upon the whole selection, rather than working on one record at a time.

Obviously, this is not pracitcal to do with the current arrangement so I have an idea.

When the user executes their search, copy the resulting recordset to the local computer (somehow) and allow the interface to display this locally stored recordset.

The question I put to you all is what would be the best method of storing this recordset locally?

My ideas
1) create a new database on C:
2) There must be a space in the Jet engine for locally stored recordsets which i'm not familiar with

Can anyone advance new ideas?

Sean

Business and Data Analyst
Database & Web Applications
International Applications Development
VB,VBA,ASP,SQL,Java,Pascal,ADA,SSADM,UML
seanunderwood1@hotmail.com

You can select multiple things if you put them in a combo box.

Another way is to have a (temporary?) table for each user/session which just has a foreign key to your main table and a tickbox field. You can then join these at runtime to give you an updatable recordset which can be displayed in a datagrid control. When the user has ticked their selection, you can use SQL in the normal way to generate your reports, action queries or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back