Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mulisite apache, NAT, public address

Status
Not open for further replies.

makrpl123

IS-IT--Management
Feb 27, 2012
PL
HI I have few questions:
I have to run 5 sites on apache. The linux box is in LAN behind NAT. Is it ok, or I have to move the linux to Internet?

I think that this solution below is ok, but it takes 5 ip public adresses.
192.168.1.5:8000 --> NAT --> 55.12.12.1
192.168.1.5:8001 --> NAT --> 55.12.12.2
192.168.1.5:8002 --> NAT --> 55.12.12.3
192.168.1.5:8003 --> NAT --> 55.12.12.4
192.168.1.5:8004 --> NAT --> 55.12.12.5

I prefer not to lost those 5 addresses, just 1.

I can use 2 computers, with apache. one in LAN, second in WAN. Wan apache makes connectivity with browser and redirects to LAN apache (for example in index.htm for one of domain:

<frameset rows="*" border="0" framespacing="0" frameborder="no">
<frame scrolling="yes" src=" name="GWFRAME" noresize>
</frameset>

in index.htm for secong of domain:

<frameset rows="*" border="0" framespacing="0" frameborder="no">
<frame scrolling="yes" src=" name="GWFRAME" noresize>
</frameset>
)
As you see I used just one public IP, few ports, but need 2 servers. So the content on external apache is just index.htm files for each domain. The content on internal box is secure.

How should I do it? How ISPs run their apache servers? I would like to run apache on one machine, secure (behind firewall NAT), use one IP public....

Please give me information.

In a 4 words "Name Based Virtual Hosting"

Take a look on Apache site for more info:

Here is a snip:
quote from Apache.org said:
IP-based virtual hosts use the IP address of the connection to determine the correct virtual host to serve. Therefore you need to have a separate IP address for each host. With name-based virtual hosting, the server relies on the client to report the hostname as part of the HTTP headers. Using this technique, many different hosts can share the same IP address.

Good luck
Laurie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back