Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MTS Package Hanging

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISB

Programmer
Jul 29, 2002
US
I have a MTS package that uses VB6 components running in a server package in MTS 2 on NT 4 Server, using ODBC to connect to a SQL Server 7 database. All latest service packs have been applied.

Occasionally, the MTS application just appears to stop. It doesn't generate an error message. Nothing is written to the event logs and the %Processor use for both processors on the server drops to practically zero - it is used as a dedicated Business objects server. Killing the MTX process for the application via Task Manager resolves the problem. A new MTX process is immediately created and everything picks up as before.

The VB6 components have the Retained in Memory flag set. SQL Server doesn't record any error msgs. We have used SQL Profiler to monitor all Txns, and when the problem occurs, no new transactions occur. There are no open transactions waiting to complete and no deadlocks have been detected. Other applications (running on separate Business Objects servers) can carry on and can still use the database as normal. SQL Server doesn't show any connections being blocked either.

There are up to 300 users on this application and MTS can process up to 1,000,000 transactions a day. Most of the time it is fine, but every now and then it just stops for no apparent reason. This has happened 3 times this
week.

Anyone any ideas?

Well, ppl will tell u to check if all of your objects are released and set to nothing. That's good.

I experienced something similar to yours. Check out the event log of NT to see if the HD has been complaining. My app hung no reason, we finally noticed a bad sector on the drive that caused accessing data from the drive was impossible and the whole thing came to a halt. :(

I hope you solve your problem. Good luck.

Min.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back