Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MTS not finding components or type libraries

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahaws

Programmer
Nov 28, 2001
US
Hi all.
Well, Hard drive crashed and I had to reinstall WINNT server and IIS/MTS.

I am trying to install components into the Microsoft Transaction Server. I have created an Empty Package and would like to place the components and type libraries inside this package.

Problem is that when I attempt to 'Add Files' it tells me that 'One or more files do not contain components or type libraries. These files cannot be installed.'

These components and type libraries installed fine previously and working properly( before the hard drive crashed)...
The 3 files that I am trying to add are:

webol.dll
webol.tlb
webol.vbr
The .dll is not registered on the server, but I read that MTS will register them when I create a new component.

The .dll was compiled and told to be multithreaded and to also build the com object. I am lost, because I had no problem rebuilding these components before I had to reinstall IIS.

Is there some setting that could be affected the way MTS looks at Components or type libraries?

All help is appreciated!
Thanks
Angie

Some more information-

I went searching the net for answers and found that if the isolated .dll was not a COM .dll, I would get the error message "One or more files do not contain components or type libraries. These files can not be installed."

So, I guess my question would be, how do I make the isolated .dll a COM .dll...

Remember, this .dll worked fine before I reinstalled IIS and MTS.

Please any help would be so nice!
Thanks
Angie

I figured it out -

The .dlls were being built on a Win98 machine, and the server is WINNT server 4.0 -

When building a COM .dll, the VFP app uses system components to build the .dll. So, it was using the Win98 system variables, and the system variables on the Winnt Server were of a different version.

Solution -
At first I installed the VFP 7.0 and moved the project to the server. I then rebuilt the .dll from the server, and the .dll was seen in the MTS. So - I went to a Win2000 workstation, and rebuilt the .dll from there. MTS could see that too. However, when I went to the Win98 workstation to rebuild, MTS could not see the .dll.

So....if anyone out there experiences this problem, try this-

Rebuild the .dll in Win2000 or Winnt environment and the .dlls will be recognized by the MTS!

Happy coding!
Angie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back