Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MTS and .NET 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

slok

Programmer
Jul 2, 1999
SG
I am new to MS products and how it fits the overall picture
in terms of architecture.

1. What does MTS do?

2. What is MTS relation with respect to .NET or what role
does it plays?

3. In creating or "giving new life" to a old product,
I have a old system which is essentially client-server base.

How does MTS fits in and .NET as well?

1.What does MTS do?

Well, you must have heard about OLTP-Online TRnasaction Processing. That is when you do e-commerce activity on net that is through WEb application(web site), you need to consider various transaction principles generally described as ACID-Atomic/Consistent/Integrated/Durable

So you have to determine if transction activity is success or failure. Consider withdrawing of a check in the bank.
There you submit the check to the counter after entering initial details, it goes through different vaification stages.If any of the step is not successful in varification, the entire transaction is called a failure and you will not get Money !
So if you automate this process through web, MTS will help you determine if the process is successful or a failure.
By the way transaction controllers like CICS and Tuxedo are there for years.(Before the inception of www)

2. What is MTS relation with respect to .NET or what role
does it plays?

Well MTS is heavily dependent on COM components.In fact sometimes we call it as COMponent manager only.Whole transaction is controlled by components called as COM.
Now role of COM in .NET is another big issue.Check out FAQ written by me on COM/DCOM forum.
faq195-1734

3. In creating or "giving new life" to a old product,
I have a old system which is essentially client-server base.
If you have developed it using ASP/VB/COM than it will fully support MTS.
Rushi Shroff Rushi@emqube.com
"Life is beautiful."

what features does MTS (or other transaction monitor)
provides that will enhance a typical 2 tier client-server
system?

This is a very big topic.
I think you should search msdn.microsoft.com and microsoft.com for this. Rushi Shroff Rushi@emqube.com
"Life is beautiful."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back