Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MTP between data center cages. Method A or B or C

Status
Not open for further replies.

308win

MIS
May 2, 2001
US

I need to run 100Gb between 2 cages in a datacenter.

I think I want to use a cable terminated with method A between the cages and then a method A patch on one side and a method B on the other.
Do I have this correct?

Thanks

If the Method A tie cable plugs into:

1) An MPO adapter at each end (i.e. MPO patch cables will be used to plug into the 100G transceivers), then you are correct that a Type A MPO Patch Cord is needed at one end and a Type B MPO patch cord at the other end (also called Type A and Type B Array Connector Patch Cords).

2) An MPO to LC break out module at each end, then you need LC A-A patch cords at one end and LC A-B patch cords at the other end.

Forgot to mention that you need to be careful to specify the MPO connector pinned/unpinned correctly. Note that at the transceiver end the patch cord MPO must be unpinned because transceivers with MPO interfaces are pinned. Plugging a pinned MPO into a pinned MPO can damage the pin (damage the transceiver). For the Method A tie cable you can specify pinned or unpinned, but if you specify it pinned, then both ends of the MPO patch cord should be specified unpinned. This is easiest since you won't have to worry about damaging anything and you don't have to think about which end of the patch cord plugs into the transceiver and which end into the adapter terminating the tie cable. Nowadays MPO terminated cables can be purchased that allow changing between pinned and unpinned in the field in case something unexpected comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back