Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MTA service won't start,no SMTP virtual servers,no queues

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpulley

MIS
May 2, 2001
US
Not sure what happened to this server. It has been running for about 2 yrs. All of a sudden it craps out. All of the exchange services are running but the MTA. If you start MTA it says it started up but then shuts down.

If I drill down in Exchange System manager to Server, then look in protocols I get an error:
Facility: LDAP Provider
ID no: 80072020
Exchange System Manager

So far I have triedl repairing installation to no avail. It errors out on the POP3 service So it says Message Collaberation failed etc, then continues to the next phase.

Users can get to their mailboxes but mail isn't flowing. I can telnet to the server's IP using port 25 and it responds correctly. I really don't want to wipe the box. I feel like it is a small thing. But I cannot figure it out.

Any ideas?

Check the event log. There must be something that starts the chain reaction.

You shouldn't need to blow the box, it is probably something trivial like a password change or disk space (famous last words).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back