Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MTA not connecting to remote server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ervsplace

Technical User
Aug 23, 2001
US
I am somewhat new to Groupwise so hopefully I phrase this correctly. We are running GW 5.5, Netware 6. We have been successfully connecting to a remote server with MTA for approximately two years and this connection just quit working in the middle of the night. Looking at the MTA, it says the connection is closed and we cannot reset it. In the log file I am finding "Unable to open connection, no response." I can ping the server I am trying to connect to however. This post office can send mail out but not receive mail in via our server. Does this situation sound familiar to anyone?

Dan

Hi,

Have you recently changed the Admin user or a user with admin equivalencys password?

When connecting remotely a user and password is required.

If this has happened, update your MTA and POA configuration files with the change.

Lou

Hi Lou,

I appreciate the response! As I stated before I am not that familiar with Groupwise and am going thru a steep learning curve. I have discussed this with another systems admin and she said we are using a unc path originally to connect to this server(we have tried tcp/ip as well). While trying to research this, I believe I read somewhere that you need to provide a user/password when using a unc path which goes along with your reply. Could you perhaps point me in the right direction to check/verify the username and password for the POA and MTA? The other admin was unaware of any username/password but if it's mandatory I provide one for a unc path then it must be somewhere.

Thanks
Dan

Hi Dan,

The user/passwords are located in POA and MTA configuration files and appear as switches such as /user= /password=.

The configuration files are located in the server's System directory and have .poa and .mta extensions. If I remember correctly, it's something like <post_office_name>.poa and <domain_name>.mta.

Thses files can also be edited through the Post Office and MTA agent screen running on the server...I believe under the Options menu.

Also check the SYS:\ETC\RESOLV.CFG file for correct DNS entries in case it is trying to resolve by name.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back