Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MTA causing Abends

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbaggett

MIS
Dec 28, 1999
US
I recently migrated a NW4.11 server that ran GroupWise 5.2 to a new box running NW5. Applied the latest patch to NW5, then in an attempt to get GroupWise running again, applied the 5.2.5 patch to GroupWise. Everytime time the MTA is loaded the server immediately abends and freezes. The other components of GroupWise seem to be running OK. (ADA, POA GWIA, WebAccess)<br>
<br>
Things I've tried without success: <br>
<br>
Double checked the MTA's configuration. Preventing any messages going through to insure it isn't a bad message causing the abends. Rebuilt the Domain database. Deleted and recreated the MTA. Reinstalling the service patch.<br>
<br>
I wanted to get 5.2 running healthy before upgrading to GroupWise 5.5. Should I go ahead and try the upgrade? Or should I try to revive the old 4.11 box, get 5.2 happy again, upgrade to 5.5, then try the migration again?<br>
<br>
TIA<br>
<br>
Jim Baggett<br>
&lt;<A HREF="mailto:jbaggett@mail.coos.k12.or.us">jbaggett@mail.coos.k12.or.us</A>&gt;<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Do you load the MTA automatically in the AUTOEXEC.NCF? If you do, try remming it out, then loading it manually after the server has fully loaded, mounted volumes, loaded all other NLMs etc. You could also set the verbose log switch in the startup file for the MTA.<br>
<br>
Most of the lockups I have experienced ended up to be a corrupt or problem message in the queue. This is easy to troubleshoot if your GroupWise NLMs are running on a separate server from the one with the GroupWise databases, since you can see which file is being held open. Alternatively, you can dig into the GroupWise message queue directories, copy all messages out to a hold directory and see if the MTA still hangs or abends. If not, copy the message files back into the queue directory one by one.<br>
<br>
Not my idea of fun, but it works more often than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back