Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSWord2K3 - Inserting Text Seperators, Underlines, Horizontal Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2009
US
Hi all,

I'm in the process of overhauling my resume; I'm trying to replicate some awesome work that comes from a friends but I can't seem to do it.

I've searched MS Office online, google'd specific things but no luck (yet).

1) There are horizontal lines located beneath (or above) headings - i need to figure how to edit the properties so i can control how large/small the gap separating the line/text is without affecting the text

2) There is cell box? (light gray shading) and within it is text; sorta like a headline. This box spans the width of the page; I'd like to know how to create and edit.

3) There are also characters (small black circle) used to separate values on the address line i.e:

123 Sesame St., * NYC, NYC * (555) 555-5555 * xyz@tt.com
^
(replace asterisk in above line with the special character I don't know where to find yet)

...so, pretty much it's a litany of MS Word help I need to redesign my resume, please help.

TIA Everyone,

J

Hi J,

1: Assuming the lines are created via Format|Borders and Shading|Borders, you can use the 'Options' button there to adjust the space between the text and the line.

2: Assuming the shading is created via Format|Borders and Shading|Shading, you can edit the text in the normal manner. Another possibility is that the text is a cross-reference. If so, toggling the field code view via Alt-F9 will confirm this. Yet another possibility, if the text is at the top or bottom of the page - and especially if it repeats on subsequent pages - it's in the document header/footer. Simply double-clicking on the text should open the header/footer.

3: Your description suggests you've got non-breaking spaces, which can be created via Ctrl-Shift-Spacebar.

Cheers
[MS MVP - Word]

hey thanks for getting back, i tried what you suggested but haven't had much luck.

the horizontal lines seem to be part of a template. the friend of mine did say that her resume was "professionally" done...it is copyrighted so i cannot copy/paste portions of it to determine how it was created.

for instance, the header will say: professional experience and beneath it will be a horizontal line spanning the width of the page, enter, contents...making a horizontal line is simple enough to do but adjusting the spacing between the text above/below seems to be the problem...?

the "shaded cell" was created with the "outside border" button on the toolbar...i simply cannot figure how to ad a shading to the background of the created cell before/after i insert text...

and word on the special characters separating the text in the address line in the above posting?

thanks for the response,

J

Hi,

There are all kinds of ways to make a line.

Drawing Object

Cell Border

Format > Borders and shading

You might check to see if your might have several TABLES, which is an easy way to sst up multiple columns and use lines.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back