Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

msword xtension not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawnclarke

Technical User
Apr 14, 2003
CA
I am running Mac OS 9.1 with Quark v4.1. When I try to import MIcrosoft Word documents into Quark, it won't work. The hourglass/watch comes up and spins, but doesn't do anything more than that. The only way to gain control of my computer again is to either force quit Quark or restart the computer.

I have tried reinstalling Quark, and reinstalling the Xtensions that allow you to import Microsoft Word documents, but that didn't work.

I know I could just open the files in Microsoft Word and save the files as text files, and then import them into Quark, but there is a lot of files that need to be imported in to Quark, and this would be very time consuming.

My co-worker's computer is running the same specs as I am, and he can import with no problem.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me.

Yes, I have tried this and it still didn't work.

Yes I have tried this. I mentioned I did in my original post.

Might it be a simple memory issue? Do you have as much memory allocated to Quark as your coworker? If not, you might try uping it.

I tried upping the memory, but this still did not work.

Resaving the file did not work.

I am now getting a time bomb error that reads
Sorry, a system error occurred.
"QuarkXpress™ 4.11"
bus error
With a restart button, but my computer freezes up at this time and I am unable to click on the restart button.

One thing I forgot to mention in my first post is I am trying to import word documents that were created on a PC.

Also, I used to be able to import word documents with no problems and it's just been recently that it stopped working. I haven't changed anything on my computer before it stopped working.

Maybe its a conflict of some sort... font or system extension.
Try restarting quark without any font manager loading and minimal system fonts, to see if that works. If not, try restarting your machine without any system extensions and see if you can import that way.

If either of those work, then you know where to look further for the exact problem.

B

I think the problem was an extension. I turned off all quark xtensions and started up Quark. It worked. So I added the xtensions back one at a time and it still works. Not sure why it wouldn't work before with the same xtensions laoding and now it will, but I guess it doesn't matter as long as it works now.

Thanx everyone for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back