Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSTR Engine SQL questions (temp tables)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinzana

Programmer
Nov 21, 2002
US
Hello All, A few MSTR Engine SQL questions......

Why does MSTR generate SQL (SQL Server 7.0) with temp table names that lead off with '#' only on occasion? Other times temp table names do not contain the '#'. Is there some algorythm that dicatates this? Can table naming conventions that MSTR SQL engine uses be changed?

Thanks for your input in advance.

-dinzana

Dinzana - 7i will always show the temp tables being created with the #. In 7.0.x the pre-execution SQL would not show the # even though SQL Server is in fact using tempdb for the temp tables. Upon looking at the SQL AFTER a result set appears the # sign will appear. Moral of the story...don't trust the pre-execution SQL!!!

MicroStrategy called this a feature...funny how they took away this feature and made it better ;)

Chael

Chael,

Thanks for the info. I would never have known! I was beginning to worry that MSTR may create perm. tables in our warehouse / datamarts.

We will soon be upgrading to MSTR 7i, and look forward to the pre and post execution SQL match up.

Thanks again,

dinzana

if the version of sqlserver you are using supports derived tables, you might want to change your VLDB intermediate table type to derived tables.

That should eliminate about 50-60% of your TT in your multipass queries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back